Monday, October 22, 2012

We are Converting to Cloth

The other day on CNN I saw a segment about a woman who started a business during the Recession and how well it's doing.  It's doing well because it's a niche market that also helps people save money: She makes cloth diapers.  She stated in her interview that using cloth diapers instead of disposables will save a family an average of $900 just on the first child.

I had considered switching to cloth before, bought a couple diapers and used them even.  But I found that if you are going to switch you really need to switch all out to make sure you have everything you need for a successful cloth diapering experience.  So I quit. But after hearing it can save $900 I decided to add up how much we spend on diapers.  Averaging 4 diapers a day, we probably go through one economy pack of Huggies a month (The bigger the size of diaper, the less in the box so that probably accounts for the newborns going through 10+ a day well enough).  That is $35 per month.  My daughter is 19 months old, which puts us at $665 we have spent on diapers so far.  You could probably add more, seeing as the size 1 diapers only hold 70 more diapers; and boy do those newborns go through them!

That is $700 that could have been spent on food, insurance, clothes, or even put in savings!  $700 that could have been put toward our food storage or a new windshield for my car!

After figuring this out I decided, enough is enough!  We are switching to cloth.  My husband is not too excited about it, but he has agreed to it.  I went to Cotton Babies and stocked up on the Flip diaper system (that is what I decided I liked best when I half-heartedly tried it before) with the organic tri-fold inserts.  While I wait for them I only have enough diapers for one day... once what I've ordered comes I'll probably have enough for 5 days or so.  I figure 2 days of the week she goes to daycare so she can stick with disposables those days.  So far she doesn't like them much.  It takes her a minute to break them in so they move with her, so she waddles around for an hour until they soften up.  It's funny... Hopefully she'll get used to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment