Friday, April 20, 2012

Getting Blood Stains OUT!

Is there anything worse than when you are going about your business and you realize that you are bleeding and it is all over your clothes?  Luckily there is a solution!  (For white clothes at least)  Some people have told me they use hydrogen peroxide or just bleach to get it out, but I have found that doesn't always work.  Often it makes it lighter, but just turns my clothes brown.  While I'm still working on a solution to get it out of colored clothes (maybe that color-safe bleach?) I do have a solution that works 99% of the time on my whites.

Supplies: 
A bowl for soaking,
White Distilled Vinegar
Bleach
Clean Water


Instructions:
Soak your soiled clothing in vinegar for at least 10 minutes, longer will only help not hurt. The vinegar releases the stain from the fibers. (This time I forgot what I was doing when DH turned on a movie so it soaked for 2 hours... whoops!)

Discard the dirty vinegar and rinse the clothing thoroughly (DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP.  If any vinegar is left on the clothing it will be turned a weird tan color.)
Rinse out the bowl as well so you can re-use it.

Soak the clothing in diluted bleach (about 1/4 c per cup of water) for between 5 and 10 minutes.

At this point there may be a little stain left on the clothing, but not to worry!

I just dump the bowl (bleach and all) into the washer and do a quick wash in cold water and VOILA!  
WHITE!

Before                                                                                                            After


(For the purposes of this blog I used a white fabric scrap to clean up a bloody nose)

Are there any other tips you guys have for getting stains out?

No comments:

Post a Comment