Saturday, April 14, 2012

Pull-ups Before Potty Training?


I don't know about you, but when I saw the ad for Huggies Little Movers Slip-on diapers I got excited. For some reason it has been difficult for me to put normal diapers on squiggly squirmy babies. I asked around to see if anybody had tried them before I bought them so I didn't waste money on diapers that didn't do their job... nobody seemed to have tried them. So I thought I'd post a little review on here so other moms out there can let someone else try it before they buy it.
Immediate Pro: SO much easier to put on a squirmy baby
Immediate Con: you have to take ALL of baby's pants and shoes etc off before you change her... then put ALL of them back on.
The number one thing I was concerned about with these diapers is obviously A) how well do they hold the poop and pee and B) how do you take them off of a poopy bum with out getting poopy hands... and poopy everything else?
Concern B was an easy fix. There are actually little tabs on the side that allow you to take off these diapers just like any other diaper... and if they come detached while trying to pull them up on your squiggly sweetheart they are easily reattached (that has only happened twice in the month we've been using them).
Now, for Concern A... When first using them they seemed to work just as well as anything else! I was excited.... then one day I guess we didn't change her diaper as often as we should have. We were sitting on the couch as a family while my daughter drank her milk before bed. All of a sudden I felt a warm trickle down my arm.... I have since noticed that the Slip-ons don't hug around the thighs quite as much as regular diapers do.
The back of the diaper is not quite as high as regular diapers. You'll see in this first picture the back of a Slip On:

And in this picture it is the back of a regular Little Movers diaper (jean edition):
There is about 2 inches extra on the regular diapers. Because of this... if your child has extra-full bowels that she needs to relieve there is no protection from your fingers if you accidentally touch her lower back. The poop tends to poke out just a little bit as the diaper ends right above that cute little bum.
Both of these problems (the low back and not-so-snug legs) led to a nasty event yesterday. My daughter's first blow-out in at least 6 months. When changing poopy diapers with Slip-ons be careful NOT to grab the diaper when pulling of your baby's pants (luckily I had already learned this one). I stood my daughter up to change her this time and saw that her pants had completely filled with yumminess... even though her diaper was not quite full. Needless to say it was all over her legs and changing table... then she had to grab it to see what it was.... Ohhhhh dear......
I'd give Slip-ons 3 stars out of 5. They are convenient and easy to use.... they just don't WORK quite as well as I'd like...

No comments:

Post a Comment