Wednesday, August 22, 2012

9 days left...

Not spending money is getting harder and harder... but with just over a week left it makes me want to finish it more than ever.  The best thing about this month so far has definitely been the lack of food waste.  I just read an article that said Americans waste 40% of their food on average, including leftovers that never get eaten and veggies that sit in the fridge and rot before they are used.  I know my husband and I are guilty of a lot of food waste and I hope this month helps us to be more careful in the future. Because we haven't bought any food (besides milk) we have been much more careful about using our veggies before they go bad and eating leftovers the next day.  Our chickens get whatever veggies we don't eat, so it does get to us eventually too.

We ran out of bread toward the beginning of the month, so I decided to try my hand at baking some.  In the past I have tried to use the bread machine that my mom got rid of and it just doesn't want to work for me.  I can't figure out why... maybe it's the flour I use?  Anyway, I took this opportunity to really bake break.  I made this recipe last week and it was delicious, but not good for toast or grilled sandwiches.  Because of the way you roll it into a log it tends to fall apart in swirls when crispy.  I do think it will make an amazing cinnamon swirl bread, though.  Can't wait to try that!  Yesterday I tried a new bread recipe.  Today I used this bread to make me a grilled cheese sandwich using provolone cheese and a fresh roma tomato from my garden.  It was delicious!  The crust seemed a tiny bit thick, but it tasted oh so good!  I think next time I will just slice the bread a little thinner and that problem will be fixed.

Does anybody out there have a bread recipe that they just love???

No comments:

Post a Comment