Friday, August 17, 2012

Zucchini Lasagna

As you know, our family is doing a No Spend Month right now (we are over half way done, wahooo!).  We also are overloaded with zucchini from our garden, so I have been spending a lot of time on Pinterest finding recipes to use our zucchini in.  A few weeks ago I came across this pin for Zucchini Lasagna and had to try it.  We didn't have any ravioli on hand, but I did have a few bags of tortellini in our freezer so just used those.  After I had it all ready to go in the oven I realized that we were actually supposed to be at a dinner party in 10 minutes, so I tossed it in the fridge (my brain seems to have disappeared this week...).  After realized that we wouldn't be able to eat it for a few more days because of other commitments I left in in the freezer for a few days.

Finally, Wednesday came and we were able to eat our lasagna!  Because it was frozen I ended up cooking it for about 80 minutes instead of 20 (I just checked the internal temperature about every 20 minutes).  It was delicious though!  The zucchini added something slightly sweet to the pasta.  Everybody loved it, even my daughter!  Nothing ended up on the floor that night, although she did take a bite of zucchini and spat it right back out.  That piece must have been too soggy for her).  I did find that reheating it a few days later did not do the zucchini well.  It did get mushy after a while, but that first night was delish!

Tonight's dinner: Turkey Parmegiana!  Turkey steaks are about the only meat we have left so I'll be finding creative ways to use that the rest of the month.  As a side we'll have zucchini fries and perhaps some nice bruschetta with the simple homemade bread I made today!

No comments:

Post a Comment