Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Proving Pinterest: Keeping Brown Sugar Soft

Growing up my mom always stuck a piece of bread in with our brown sugar to keep it soft, so that's what I did too when I moved out.  It really works, but the downside is you have to change the bread often.  It dries out really fast and then pieces of the bread tend to crumble off and get mixed up with your sugar.

Recently my mom has bought a little clay.... thing.... that she just soaks in water for a while and then it will keep her bread soft for so long before she does it again.   She said she has to do that really often as well, though.  I was thinking about buying one of those when I came across a tip on Pinterest.  It suggested putting a marshmallow in with your brown sugar to keep it soft.

A month or so ago I had one marshmallow left in a bag I wanted to get rid of so I just threw it in with my brown sugar.  I was amazed at how well it works!  I have had to refill my container of brown sugar, but I am still using the same marshmallow.  It has gotten slightly more firm, but the marshmallow is still soft as can be and doing wonders for my sugar!


Do you guys have any other tips for keeping things fresh in your kitchen?

No comments:

Post a Comment